Knowing your rights

HealthServe generally serves migrant workers who are on work permits or Special Pass holders. We hope that the information below will serve as a general guide to help you understand your rights as a Special Pass holder, Work Permit holder and even as an Employer.

What is provided for me?


All purpose-built dormitories have 3 meals a day, and meals will be served 30 minutes to 1 hour upon arrival. Government still working with dormitory operators to give better food, taste testing with some workers, and visits by chef to understand how to improve food.

Mini-mart at dormitory still open, you can buy online and get delivery.  All purpose-built dormitories should have good WiFi. Government say they have given out 410,000 care packs with thermometers, hand sanitisers and masks. Also, 200,000 data SIM cards given to workers. If you receive or no receive care pack or SIM card, WhatsApp us.

Watch free shows in your language here:


MOM talking to employers to make sure they pay workers salary on time. Employer must pay using bank transfer. Number of workers that have bank accounts has increased. Some employers still have difficulties paying because of money problem, but MOM is helping them to pay workers using public donations.

If you live in purpose-built dormitories, all will have remittance services available soon from any of these – POSB, State Bank of India, GCC Exchange, Mass Express and Pay2Home. There will be booths, or self-service kiosks or e-remittance service for sending money home. If still need help, MOM also ask employers to help send money for workers

Government said they are trying their best to keep you safe, and make sure you have proper care, they said that workers’ well-being is most important right now.

Special Pass Holders

  • A Special Pass (SP) card, allows a foreigner to stay in Singapore while they are assisting in investigation, work injury claims or salary claims.
  • The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) are the only issuing authorities for such SP cards.
  • Foreigners who are issued SPs are not allowed to work in Singapore and SP holders who are found working without a valid work pass would have committed an offence and will be dealt with under the relevant laws.
  • All SP cards have a validity date.
  • Your SP can be renewed at MOM (Hall C) or ICA. However during this Circuit Breaker period, MOM has auto extended all Special Pass cards until 5th May 2020, you do not need to visit MOM to renew your card and should have received a message from them.
  • If you lose your SP card, you have to make a Police Report and apply for a replacement at MOM/ICA.

Work permit holders

Here are some basic information we’ve compiled from the Ministry of Manpower’s website to help work permit holders understand the dos and don’ts while working in Singapore:

  • You must have a valid work pass to work in your job and are not allowed to hold a second job to earn more money. The repercussions are serious and you could get fined or jailed for up to 2 years.
  • Check if the employment agency you are using is licensed. You can find out here:


  • If you engage an Employment agency in Singapore, you should not need to pay more than 1 month’s salary in fees for each year of your contract or work pass.
  • It is illegal for your employer to demand that you pay for: securing your job, work pass renewal, medical insurance, levy payment, medical fees, compulsory training, repatriation costs and security bond.
  • Your employer can only make deductions in your salary from: Absence of work, cost of meals supplied by your employer, accomodation, amenities and services, recovery of advances, loans or adjustments in salary overpayment. However for foreign employees who could not work during Circuit Breaker, employers must continue to be responsible for their maintenance and upkeep and work out mutually agreed salary and leave arrangements with the unions and employees, especially for low-wage work permit holders who may need more support.
  • You should receive your salary regularly every month, within 7 days after the salary period.
  • If you work more than 44 hours each week, your employer must pay you overtime pay of 1.5x your basic salary.
  • The accommodation provided by your employer must be clean, safe and not overcrowded. Private homes can house up to 8 occupants only.